There are a number of large and well-known environmental organizations (e.g., NRDC and the Sierra Club) and other broad-based sustainability groups that do very good work. But there are also many lesser-known, smaller, or more issue-specific environmental organizations that I believe also deserve attention and financial support. You might not have heard of all of these groups before, but they’re worth knowing about. They include:
It was difficult to narrow down my long list of favorite organizations to this small set; there are so many other effective organizations and initiatives that deserve support, as well. If you have a favorite organization to recommend, please mention it in the Comments section.
Remember that you can always give a donation to a group or a cause in honor of someone else—as a gift. It’s a wonderful type of gift to give for the holidays or any other occasion. You can also give someone a charity gift card (such as the TisBest Charity Gift Card) that allows the recipient to spend the funds on a charity of their choice.
I’d also like to take this opportunity to mention a few other non-profit groups that are near and dear to my heart, though they are not directly related to environmental issues. I hope you will look into and support some of these groups, as well:
- International Anti-Poaching Foundation (IAPF)
- Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF)
- Animal Place (consider sponsoring/”adopting” a rescued farm animal)
- Farm Sanctuary (consider sponsoring/”adopting” a rescued farm animal)
- Gentle Barn (consider sponsoring/”adopting” a rescued farm animal)
- SPCA International (Global Animal Rescue)
- Verified Voting
- Election Protection
- Common Cause
- Center for Media and Democracy (PR Watch, ALEC Exposed, etc.)
- Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research
- Parkinson’s Disease Foundation
- Compassion & Choices
- Tick-Borne Disease Alliance
Also consider making donations to local organizations that serve your community (e.g., food banks, shelters), as well as to local and nationwide public radio/TV programs and other non-profit media outlets.