In addition to writing posts for this blog (The Green Spotlight), I write articles and blog posts for MotherEarthNews.com and other publications, and I do writing and editing work for clients. I almost never mention my other work activities here on my blog, but it occurred to me that some readers might like to know a little about my other writings and my professional background.
I have been a published writer for more than two decades. I was a writer, reporter, and producer for public radio’s Living on Earth program for several years. More recently, I was a contributing author for the book Blueprint for Greening Affordable Housing (2nd edition, edited by Global Green USA, published by Island Press). I wrote the chapter on Green Operations and Maintenance, as well as one of the case studies featured in the book.
I’ve written numerous articles and commentaries on green building and other environmental topics. My articles have been published by more than a dozen media outlets (e.g., magazines, newspapers, public radio, and online media), including:
- San Francisco Chronicle
- Natural Home magazine
- Environmental Design + Construction magazine
- Urban Land’s GreenTech magazine
- Living on Earth radio program
- KQED.org, and
- Environmental News Network (ENN.com)
I’ve also written and/or edited guides, manuals, newsletters, reports, website content, marketing materials, case studies, and other types of publications on behalf of companies, non-profit organizations, and government agencies. My clients have included: New Leaf Community Markets (I am the proofreader for their monthly magazine, Flavor), the David Brower Center, Environmental Defense Fund, Partnership for Sustainable Communities, Enterprise Community Partners, Simon & Associates Green Building Consultants, Global Green USA, the National Building Museum, the U.S. Green Building Council’s Northern California Chapter, EduTracks, ICLEI, Industrial Economics, Lehrer Design, Compendia, the City and County of San Francisco’s Department of the Environment, Schenectady Municipal Housing Authority, Ecobanca, and the Resource Renewal Institute.
Here’s a small selection of some of my writing work in recent years:
- Case studies on a few of the campus projects and programs that received the 2010 and 2012 University of California/CSU/CCC Best Practices Award: UC Santa Cruz Campus’ Water Efficiency and Water Management Improvements; UC Irvine’s Medical Education Building; and CSU Sacramento’s American River Courtyard residence hall. Written on behalf of the UC Berkeley Green Building Research Center / Lehrer Design, 2011-2012
- “Tips for Switching to High-Efficiency Toilets, Showerheads, and Faucets,” article on GreenHomeGuide.com, Summer 2010
- “Coastal California Kit Home Gets a Sustainable Renovation and Addition—Pacifica, CA,” case study on GreenBuildingAdvisor.com, February 23, 2009
- “Trailblazing Solar Home Made of Composite ICFs—Cannon Beach, Oregon,” case study on GreenBuildingAdvisor.com, February 17, 2009
- Green Operations & Maintenance Manual for the Schenectady Municipal Housing Authority, along with a Healthy Home Guide for SMHA residents, December 2011
- “Chemical cleaners can introduce poisons, health risks into the home,” San Francisco Chronicle, September 22, 2007
And the following are a few of my stories that were broadcast on public radio’s Living on Earth:
- “Commodified Oxygen” commentary, aired July 4, 2003 (and re-aired January 2, 2004)
- A profile of entrepreneur John Reid, the owner of an innovative “Bioshelter” greenhouse in western Massachusetts that combines fish farming with hydroponic agriculture, aired April 14, 2000
- A profile of Troy Hurtubise, the eccentric inventor of a grizzly-bear-proof suit, aired November 5, 1999
I invite you to visit my PUBLICATIONS page for a more comprehensive list of writings and broadcast pieces that I’ve written, edited, or produced.